Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Amurican-ish Cookout

As my host parents say (jokingly), I am now ready to be married.  I cooked a meal. And it was good.  Although I have not yet eaten any Mexican food that I didn't like, I was hankering for some of my favorites from home, and also wanted to treat my host family to a little something from my culture.  What's more American than a cookout?  Although this may not have been the most traditional of American cuisine, it was all delicious, and a lot of fun to prepare.  The menu? Grilled pizzas (thank you Manonis! We are forever in your debt for this amazing food), hot dogs, chorizo, potatoes filled with yummy things (sadly, I cannot take credit for them, they were all Arcelia's doing), and chocolate chip cookies.

On Friday, Jake came over and we prepared the pizza dough and made the cookies.  Unfortunately, due to the altitude and the fact that Arcelia's oven doesn't quite close all the way, they were a little sad: flat and kind of crunchy. But still delicious! We walked to San Andres Cholula (Cholula is made up of 2 parts: San Andres and San Pedro), got HAMBURGERS for lunch to continue the weekend of Amurica, and then went out with some other international students.  On Saturday we drove over to Arcelia's mom's "country house" which has a grill and a nice yard.  I was a little nervous for being responsible for the food, but it all turned out great.  Their one complaint--not enough pizza! I think that means I did well.
My host mom and dad: Guillermo and Arcelia.  Ale is creepin'  into the photo to the left.
 I forgot to get a picture of everyone! Oh well, next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment