Sunday, March 10, 2013

Week With My Parents, Day 2: Cholula

As you know, last week my parents arrived in Puebla for a week long visit in Mexico. Day 1 was Puebla.  On day two I decided to have my parents come to Cholula to see the university and our little pueblo mágico.  In the morning we had a nice time touring the school which I think they thought was beautiful (I can't imagine they didn't).


 After that the four of us walked all the way up to the pyramid which is about a thirty minute walk from campus.  Sam and I had never actually gone inside the pyramid so we thought that would be a fun thing for all of us to do together. The tunnels beneath the pyramid were cool, but the architecture inside isn't all that elaborate so I was happy it's only about a ten or fifteen minute activity.

After that Sam and I showed my mom up to the top of the pyramid and the Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Remedios.  The walk is extremely steep and, at that altitude, Dad decided to skip it. While atop the pyramid, Sam and I spied a cultural center nearby that we wanted to check out.

Unfortunately, when we got there they wouldn't let us in even though there were lots of people inside already (No Gringos Allowed!). Since we were dismissed from the culture center, we headed over to the quesadilla ladies to grab some lunch.  I think my parents may have been a bit afraid of the street fair, but Sam and I have eaten there before and it is nothing but clean and delicious.  Following lunch, we trekked even farther away from campus to see the zocalo in San Andres Cholula.  Up there we took a look at the traditional market place and stopped in the center to relax for a bit.  At the end of the day, we returned to Puebla for some more tacos and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment